Love BODYPUMP? Train to teach it at the Parker Hannifin YMCA on October 7/8 – discounted or free.
You’ll learn how to change lives, earn CECs, and get a free Y membership (upon hire). Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name & home branch by September 20!
Les Mills and Your Y
Les Mills classes fuse science, movement and music with the latest exercise trends and technology to deliver a workout experience that will change your outlook on exercise. Although available in different exercise styles and intensities, all Les Mills classes focus on one goal: bringing people together to harness the power of group fitness and collective determination. Watch the video below and get inspired by YMCA of Greater Cleveland instructors!
Benefits of Les Mills
The Les Mills model focuses on the full experience — from the upbeat music to the challenging moves. The unique format of a Les Mills class also encourages friends to work out together, making fitness fun and effective.
- Motivational groups: Studies show that those who work out in a group are far more likely to keep with their exercise program than those who work out solo.
- Methodical programs: Each Les Mills program is a product of thorough scientific exercise research and designed to deliver ultimate results. A well-trained instructor guides the class to ensure students execute each move correctly.
- Modern movement: Every three months, Les Mills releases a new version of their programs featuring updated music and exercises on par with current fitness trends.
- Monitored progress: Les Mills programs' flexible choreography options allow participants to start slowly and build gradually as their strength increases.
- Match your preferences: With a wide variety of fitness programs across an assortment of genres, there's a Les Mills workout for everyone.
As one of the most popular Les Mills programs, BODYPUMP™ is a barbell-based strength workout designed to help participants become fit and toned while having fun. Based on the Rep Effect, each BODYPUMP session follows a proven formula of using light weights to exhaust the muscles while performing high repetitions. The fast-paced resistance training of BODYPUMP kickstarts a long-term calorie-burning response to get greater fitness results within a shorter amount of time.
A standard 55-minute BODYPUMP class includes 10 circuits, each of which concentrates on working a different muscle group. Although the exercises within the tracks vary, most instructors incorporate plenty of squats, deadlifts, presses, push-ups and lunges. Because BODYPUMP is a weight-training workout, it is perfect for anyone from beginners to advanced fitness buffs — adjust the amount of weight to suit your experience level.
LES MILLS CORE
Inspired by elite athletic training principles, LES MILLS CORE™ is a scientific core workout for incredible core tone and sports performance. You'll build strength, stability and endurance in the muscles that support your core, improve balance, assist injury prevention, and become better at everything you do!
All the moves in LES MILLS CORE have options, so it’s challenging but achievable whatever your level of fitness. During the 30-minute workout, trained Instructors guide you through correct technique as you work with resistance tubes and weight plates, as well as bodyweight exercises like crunches, and hovers. Plus there are some hip, butt and lower back exercises too.
If taking a class for the first time, here are some helpful tips:
- There's no need to bring a thing. The Y will provide the necessary equipment. All you need is comfortable workout clothes, supportive shoes, a drink bottle and a sweat towel.
- Let your instructor know you are new to class. Everyone is new to class sometime, and your instructor wants to help you succeed.
- These classes, especially LES MILLS CORE, are for all ages, abilities and fitness levels. The moves are simple and multiple options mean you choose the intensity. You will soon experience the benefits of increased cardio and functional fitness. You never know until you go!
- Keep coming! The more you come, the more confidence you build and the more fit you will feel.