Get Your Lifeguard Certification at the YMCA!
Whether you are looking for a great summer job or career as a professional lifeguard, the YMCA of Greater Cleveland Lifeguard program is the place to begin! Through classroom activities, group discussion, online e-learning, and hands-on practice, you’ll learn the skills you need for lifeguarding.
Our comprehensive Lifeguard Training course includes accident prevention, lifeguarding techniques, emergency systems, and rescue skills. Course will also include CPR for the Professional Rescuer with AED, Emergency Oxygen Administration and First Aid.
Upon successful completion of the course the participant will be certified in:
American Red Cross Lifeguarding (valid for two years)
American Red Cross CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer (valid for two years)
American Red Cross Basic First Aid and Emergency Oxygen Administration (valid for two years)
- Must be at least age 15 for YMCA Lifeguard certification
- 300 yards continuously swim (either front crawl or breaststroke)
- Tread water for 2 minutes without using your hands
- Sprint for a distance of approximately 60 feet in the water, complete a surface dive in 8–10 feet of water and pick up a 10-pound weighted object, surface and swim 60 feet with the weighted object on your back, place the object on the pool wall, and exit the pool without assistance, under 1 minute and 40 seconds.
To receive Lifeguard Certification a participant must:
- Attend 100% of all class sessions
- Arrive on time for all class sessions
- Participate 100% in all class sessions
- Pass written and skills tests
- Demonstrate maturity, respect and responsibility regardless of passing written and skills tests
- Certification confirmation documents will be sent to participant 4–6 weeks post-course completion