Pamela Bartz, a Registered Dietician here at the YMCA of Greater Cleveland, has tips for you.
- Plan out your meals for the week.
- Check the circulars for sales.
- Find coupons for ingredients you need and/or items to replace or add to dishes.
- Make a list!
- Don’t go to the store without a plan, because you will buy things off the list!
Write your list based on the layout of the store.
- Produce (front)
- Dry storage items (middle)
- Meat, poultry, fish
- Frozen food (middle)
- Dairy section
When should you shop?
- Don’t shop hungry!!
- Allow at least 30 minutes in the store.
- Give yourself extra time to look at similar brands of the item you are buying to compare labels and/or price. (ex. Dannon vs. Chobani yogurt)
- Weekends= BUSY
- Weekday Morning and afternoons= less crowded.
- If you have extra time, look at store specials that weren’t listed in the ad.
- Go down every aisle and observe new products out there and read the labels!